Wednesday 3 November 2010

Biting the Biscuit

This was the first piece I done that I felt proud of, not just because of the content but technically.
So here is where I talk about it?

This was part of my 'Final Negotiated Major' when I was studying for my National Diploma.
It's a self portrait depicting how the women in the Concentration Camps of Poland felt.  I done a few reels of [medium format] film and chose this particular image for my final piece to carry on my shoulder everywhere because the facial expression and lack of dignity.
I'm a large breasted one so anyone in that position can agree how undignifying it is trying to bunch all your bosom up under the cups of your hands.  I'm a natural poser but I don't feel entirely comfortable having my picture taken so using myself as the subject seemed right - not to mention the fact I was the only Jewish girl I could find...

Technically speaking, one of the few things I'd change would be the lighting on the background, used  abacklight to set me apart from it perhaps but then was that intentional of me to make myself blend in and 'fade away' slightly?

2 comments:

  1. Personally i like the kind of monotone throughout the image... and the grain also gives age and relevance to the subject at hand

    must have taken ages to get the star just right :P

    ReplyDelete